Employers, you can help your employees be more productive and engaged workers. Including activities and programs that improve the mental and physical health of your staff members will help them enhance their work performance. Your employees will experience many benefits by maintaining good health. Stress is reduced, focusing is easier, fatigue is minimized and job satisfaction is increased when workers adopt a more healthy way of life.
There are several ways you can help your employees shape up. Helping them switch some of their routines could also help you reduce the cost of your company health care plan. However, for maximum impact make sure the focus of your health initiative is helping your employees get healthier rather than helping your organization save money.
Below are 14 ways to help your employees improve their physical and mental health:
- Provide them with a stipend that they can use for fitness activities, such as gym memberships or yoga classes
- Replace high calorie snacks and sugary drinks at your office with more nutritious options
- Encourage your employees to take short breaks between long periods of work to help them regain focus and avoid burn out
- Create a quiet space with comfortable chairs for employees to take their breaks
- Make walking maps of the company neighborhood available for employees to use before work, during lunch or at the end of the day
- Offer a free, healthy lunch option to employees once a month
- Plan onsite group fitness activities during lunch or after work hours, and allow your staff members to choose if they’d like to participate
- Personalize items for your employees that will motivate them to pursue fitness activities
- For example, you can order water bottles and pedometers personalized with the company logo or names of staff members to encourage weekly walking
- Have a massage therapist come onsite to provide employees with inexpensive massages
- Massages can be paid for by your company or by your employees
- Provide information on achieving a healthier lifestyle in your company newsletter and on bulletin boards
- Plan a company picnic that includes fitness activities, such as softball or tug of war
- Invite employees’ families to participate as well
- Tell your employees to take and enjoy their lunch breaks—preferably out of their office or workspace
- Keep plenty of water in different workspaces for your employees to maintain hydration and concentration throughout the day
- Work with your benefits provider to offer onsite flu shots for your employees and their families
Please contact a member of CAI’s Advice and Counsel Team at 919-878-9222 or 336-668-7746 if you are interested in receiving more strategies to improve workplace performance.
Photo Source: Port of San Diego